This is a favourite in our house. It’s quick (about 20 min start-to-finish), easy, high in protein, satisfying, and very tasty. It’s a great substitute for scrambled eggs at breakfast, brunch or any other meal. You can make it as-is, following the recipe below, or the optional variation. I’ve also included some topping and serving suggestions to round out your meal.
“That smell hypnotizes me. If you wanted to lead me somewhere I didn’t want to go, you could wave tofu scramble in front me and I’d follow you.” ~ F (9 years old)
Variation: saute slivered onions or leeks, chopped mushrooms, and/or other vegetables before adding tofu to pan
Optional Toppings: coconut bacon, chopped green onion
Serve with: coconut flatbread
Course: Breakfast | Cuisine: Vegan
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Total Time: 20 min
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 454g (1 lb) firm tofu drained and pressed gently to release liquid
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp salt (optional if you use reduced-sodium tamari)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Ground pepper
- Put the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Crumble the tofu into the saucepan. Add the nutritional yeast, tamari, turmeric, and salt and mash with a fork.
- Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with pepper. Taste and add more nutritional yeast, tamari, salt, or pepper if desired.
From Enlightened Eating, by Caroline Marie Dupont